Friday, April 8, 2011

First Shots

Mia had her two month check-up today and her first shots. As soon as the nurse stuck the first needle in her thigh, she let out a painful cry then proceeded into a five second "silent cry". She was so shocked she was out of breath. Her little face squeezed into a contortion. Even though her mouth was wide open, she could not cry out loud. Shortly after she shrieked inconsolably but of course there were two more shots following suit. My heart was twisted with pain seeing her so upset. Now I understand the Chinese saying that mother's heart is connected to the child's heart. I wish I could take her pain away or just simply take her pain.

She's been miserable since she got home. She did not eat much and was dozing to sleep but constantly woke up whimpering. I think her muscle must be aching just like how adults feel after getting a flu shot. She nursed for twenty minutes after crying herself tired around 9. I held her and rocked her until she drifted off and finally went to sleep. I hope she won't develop a fever as one of the side effects of the vaccines.

Today is not a good day for baby and is not a good day for me either. I realized this incredible impact on me. Forever, my emotion will be tied to her well being. I am becoming my mother.

P.S. She is 23 3/4 inches tall and 13 lbs and 4.5 oz today.