Tuesday, February 15, 2011

First Week

Day 1 - Mia, born on February 8, 7 lbs 12 ounces, 20.5 inches. It's a day of sheer joy and agony for me. Seeing her for the first time made me tear up. I felt exhausted yet invincible. I created life!

Day 2 - learning to know her. We are having fear of not being able to feed her, or feed her enough. Each diaper change brought both mom and dad so much excitement. I never realized I would not mind seeing and handling someone's stinky poop.

Day 3 - still in the hospital waiting to check out. Adrenalin and epidural both wearing off. Pain from birthing and breast feeding. Held her all night to comfort her to sleep, feeling even more exhausted.

Day 4 - at home waiting for milk to come in. Hunger is driving her cry and making us panic. Feeling frustration and self doubt. No wonder some women experience postpartum depression. I am staring at her face all day, studying her breathing and grimaces. Feeling warm and fuzzy and overwhelming desire to cuddle her. I guess this is love.

Day 5 - food is here for her. Relieved but soon facing more challenges such as burping.
Haven't been able to burp her successfully but once. Poor little one is spitting up and hiccuping after each feeding.I feel like a loser mom.

Day 6 - Valentine's Day. Except for sleepless night and difficulty in burping, I feel good.Mia has opened her eyes and she is my little valentine. We gave her a sponge bath today after she peed while we changed her and soaked her shirt. Last year this time I wore my little black number and we went to Citizen for a ten course meal. This year's date with hubby had a third wheel. I never imagined I'd spend v day like this in a million years. Life has already changed forever for us.


Day 7 - hubby's read the baby book to me on baby sleep. We will try the new trick tonight. Baby sleeps during the day and has been wide awake at night. We are still learning her different cries.