Monday, October 10, 2011

Aquarium

I havd Columbus Day off today so I took Mia to DC to meet up with Lu and friend. Three moms, one baby, two toddlers, we met up at the National Aquarium and then went to eat Sichuan food.

It was Mia's first time in DC and it was the first time I ever took baby out in a car on my own (not counting one doctor's visit). It was quite a production to get her ready and out the house. We were supposed to meet at 10:30 and we all got there from different directions at 11:30. With a baby, it's impossible to keep your schedule straight now. So many things are out of your control.

I pushed the stroller for a good twenty some minutes from my work to the Commerce Building where it housed the aquarium. It was tiny compared to the aquarium in Baltimore but just right to keep Mia's attention. She took a nap earlier in the car so she was awake the entire time and was very excited to see the fish, the allegator, the snakes, the sharks, and the rays... For a small aquarim, they offer a decent collection of sea life. We left the stroller at the gate (no checkin) and I carried her in the baby b'jorn. This way she could see what was going on. After seeing Mia so interested in everything when we were walking around in DC and inside the aquarium, I decided that it was about time to take her out more often now that she can appreciate things more.

Lunch was crazy. We got one table and another small table just to accommodate the stroller since I could not leave Mia outside the stroller. I fed her some noodles with tomato and egg broth. She ate some flavored restaurant food. I know it's bad but there is a first time for everything. :) This was her first noodle experience. We ate as fast as we could. I had to leave the table twice to change her and feed her. Now I am starting to see more and more into the hardship and sacrifice of motherhood. In the past I was always first stuffing my face so I don't get cranky. Now she has to come first. Since this is practically where I eat every other day at work. The owner and all the waiters and waitresses know me. They all came to see Mia and praised her for her large eyes. Typical for Chinese who favor large eyes. It was like introducing her to my extended family. I was proud that she did not make a fuss over lunch.