Sunday, September 11, 2011

Accident

Mia had a swim today in the tub. When Mike put her in her little tub and rinsed her off with a bowl of 'warm' water as our usual practice, he forgot to test the water. I heard a shriek of pain coming out of Mia and I jumped out of my tub. Mike picked her up and I put in my hand in the water and realized it was really hot. I immediately went hysterical and started crying in agony. I am not proud of it as I record this now but I was in total panic. I resented Mike for his mistake. Testing temperature should be parenting 101. After seven months, how can you have a burning incident?! I could not believe it! After much commotion, we finally put some cold towel on Mia to cool her off. Her butt, thighs and legs were red and she was clearly in distress. After the skin cooled off a bit, we put Vaseline on her. I fed her and she seemed to have calmed down by then. Mike was full of guilt and we checked her skin again after her feeding. I think I was more in distress then she was. I hugged her tight after she dozed off and I sang her a lullaby before I put her in her crib. I don't think I ever felt this much guilt and panic since her birth. When she cried out of pain, it was like someone put a sharp knife in my heart. I am not even exaggerating. Oh my god. Parenting is not easy. My little sweet pea is so low maintenance. Since she never complains much, I feel even worse when we do something bad like this. I hope she will be ok.