Friday, September 16, 2011

Road Trip w/o Mia to Falling Water, PA

I went on an overnight road trip on Friday with the girls to Falling Water, Pensylvania (a home built in 1936 over a water fall for the Kaufmann family by the architect Frank Lloyd Wright). It was the first time since Mia's birth that I did not spend the night with her. It was my first time off mom duty.

It was a great trip. The house was fabulous and ingeneous and visionary for its era. It's so organically designed that it fits right into the surrounding.  In many places, we saw boulders designed as part of the house. It's amazing to see a view of the waterfall running under the house from all the balconies and hear its soothing sound.
 
We went to Out of the Fire for dinner off Hwy 31. I had veal osso bucco and three glasses of Malbec. It was BYOB so it worked out perfectly. This was also the first time I drank wine since I got pregnant. I have missed a glass a red wine so much and last ngiht I got my fill of it to go cold turkey again for a few more months.

On Saturday we went to the Ohiopyle State Park, rent bikes and rode along the Youghiogheny River. The weather just turned a bit chilly but it was a pleasant ride. I haven't ridden a bike for fourteen years and had to do a practice ride. Good thing I did not really forget otherise all those years of maneuvering in and out of traffic in the streets of Beijing would have gone to waste. 

I called home three times to check on Mia. She was behaving like an angel and took the bottle well this weekend. In fact I trusted Mike so much I was not too worried and truly enjoyed the trip. I feel reenergized now to take back on my work and motherhood duties.