Monday, January 16, 2012

The Impromtu Seamtress

 This long weekend I became addicted to my new sewing machine. I managed to read thru the manual and spent an hour just to assemble the machine. God knows I hate reading manuals! But once the machine is set up, there was no stopping me. I have never touched a sewing machine in my life but I was a demon with it!!! I made the first sun dress following an online DIY instruction.

I first cut out two squares.
 Then cut the J shape arm hole.
 Then cut the stirps for ruffle and tie.
 Gathered the ruffles.
 Sewed the ruffle with the main dress.
 Made the strip for bow and tie.
 Hemed the arm hole, the body of dress and sewed the casting for the tie.
 Hemed the ruffle.
Fitted the tie via the casting and tied the bow.
Voilà!!!
 Mia did not seem too keen on her new dress but I was very pleased.
Last night I started a new project using the rest of the fabric and designed my own dress without instruction. This time I had to redo quite a few times because the order of things and I lacked of skills such as cutting the right shapes, sewing edges and hemming and most importantly making pieces fit! The dress ended up almost too small but after several alterations, here it is: