Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!

Today is the first day of 2012. It was uneventful for Mia. We had a walk in the afternoon and carried out our normal business of eating, taking two naps, eating again, playing, etc.

For me though it was the first time Mia offered her food and shared with me. It was cheddar cheese, her favorite food. When I reached over to talk to her, she extended her fist and generously fed a piece of cheese into my mouth. Seeing me chewing and saying thank you, she smiled. That was beautiful to me since she shared her favorite food with ME! To make sure that was not an accident, I waited and she fed me two more pieces in a row. When it came to the last piece on her tray, she was going to feed me but turned half way and shoved it into her own mouth. I guess she realized that was it...

Last night we went to a house party. Years ago, I started a tradition to invite friends over for New Year's Eve. This year it took place at my friend Lu's house. What's funny is every year as time goes by, there is more addition to the party. Lu's already a mother of two boys and I now have Mia. Over dinner, the moms could not eat first but need to feed the young. Good thing was Mia behaved really well last night and ate her meal pretty quickly without a fuss. I passed her to Mike then I was able to enjoy three servings of Lu's mother-in-law's cooking. Shanghai cuisine, home style. Lu's younger son is only two months old than Mia, the two of them played well together. We joked about having a marriage contract for the two of them as what we called in China "baby marriage". How life changes with a child! We left around 7:45PM, not even watching the NYE celebration on TV for a second, let alone waiting for the clock to turn to 2012. Traiditionally we didn't join to crowd and pay premium price to stay at a club to celebrate NYE, so we did not feel too much of a contrast. I do miss my friends though. Now everyone lives far away and even when we get to see each other, the children are tying our hands, we don't get to chat as much. Hopefully when Mia grows up a bit, things will be back to normal.